W,A.S. Benson was a famous maker of Arts-and-Crafts light fittings - especially early electric lamps that he sold through (William) Morris & Co. He and his wife Venetia loved the faraway coast of West Wales and later in life settled in Manorbier. Then, in the philanthropic mood of the turn of the century he built this Reading Room – a Village Hall – in 1906.
Once again, as is common in post War Pembrokeshire, it has been incorrectly repaired in cement mortar, and damp has threatened its survival. A beautifully crafted limestone shell is now saturated and the timber set in the walls is rotted. This is a challenging project for us in 2015!